In the northern Iowa city of Algona, residents have begun celebrating the renovation of a century-old brick building designed by world-renowned architect Louis Sullivan.
The installation in July of replica glass windows to the structure signified a major footnote in the nearly 20-year process of renovating the former Henry Adams building.
At a cost of $800,000, renovations by the Algona Sullivan Building Foundation have included the removal of an old shingle roof and restoration of ceramic tile flooring.
The historic structure built in 1913 is considered one of Sullivan's simplest designs. Terra cotta tile surrounds the building, which is one of his "jewel box bank" designs meant for a series of banks. Only eight such Sullivan structures exist in the United States.
The building now houses Algona's chamber of commerce.