Published On: Sep 27 2013 01:24:22 PM CDTUpdated On: Jan 13 2015 02:00:00 AM CST
You spend eight hours at work every day. Why not make it an opportunity to burn some calories? Check out the following tips from Mayo Clinic to make exercise a part of your workday:
10. Try a treadmill desk -- No, really. Treadmill desks are a thing you can buy on the Internet. Don't have that kind of cash? Position your work surface (safely and comfortably) over an existing treadmill to walk while you work.
9. Work out when traveling -- Stuck in an airport waiting for a business flight? Grab your bags and take a brisk walk. Choose a hotel with fitness facilities or bring your equipment with you.
8. Speed it up -- If your job requires walking, pick up the pace. The more you walk and the faster you do it, the better.
7. Meet on the go -- Get out of your cubicle and schedule walking meetings or brainstorming sessions when practical.
6. Make fitness a social activity -- Organize a lunchtime walking or biking group. Members can encourage and hold each other accountable for regular exercise.
5. Keep fitness equipment at your desk -- Do some arm curls between meetings or tasks with resistance bands or small hand weights kept in a desk drawer or cabinet.
4. Invest in a fitness ball chair -- Trade in your desk chair for a fitness ball chair to improve your balance and tone your core muscles while you work.
3. Take fitness breaks -- Talk a walk or do some stretching on your breaks instead of snacking in the break room.
2. Look for opportunities to stand -- Stand up when you're talking on the phone or, better yet, get a desk that can move up and down for sitting or standing.
1. Walk or bike to work -- Even if you take the bus or subway, get off a few blocks earlier and walk the rest of the day. If you drive, park at the far end of the parking lot.
Click here to read more about Mayo Clinic's tips on how to burn calories at work.